What is CompaLab ?
CompaLab organises inter laboratory comparisons, also named proficiency tests or round robin tests or PTP, to evaluate the capacity of the participants to perform identified tests, in accordance ISO 13528 and ISO/IEC 17043 standards. The scope of these proficiency testing programs is the tests on metals and metallurgy, particularly on steels, ferrous materials, copper alloys and coated steels (painted and galvanised steels). Any laboratory holding equipment and human resources that are necessary to perform these tests may participate, whatever its legal status.
For more details, see What is CompaLab
Contact : email@example.com
What is an Interlaboratory comparison (ILC / PTP) ?
A proficiency test (PTP) enables to evaluate the reliability of the services of a laboratory, by sharing results of same tests, performed on a same product. Uncertainties on test results may be computed from results of these interlaboratory comparisons.
For more details, see What is an ILC
What ILC (interlaboratory comparisons) are proposed ?
In 2019, 57 proficiency testing schemes (interlaboratory comparisons) are taking place in the following areas:
- Chemical analysis of metals and ferro-alloys (non-alloy steel, low alloy steel, high-alloy steel, stainless steel, copper alloy, aluminium alloy, ferromanganese, ferrosilicon, ferrochrome, ferro niobium);
- Metallography (ISO 643 ASTM E112 grain size and ISO 4967 non-metallic inclusions content on unalloyed steel, and stainless steel, ISO 3887 ASTM 1077 decarburization depth, ISO 945-1 classification of graphite in cast iron);
- Heat treatments (ISO 2639 case hardening depth, ISO 642 ASTM A255 Jominy hardenability);
- Intergranular corrosion tests on stainless steels (ISO 3251-1 ISO 3251-2 ASTM A262.5 different test methods);
- Determination of the roughness parameters of a metal surface (ISO 4287, ISO 4288);
- Zinc coating tests (ISO 1460, ISO 3882, ISO 2808, ISO 2178 thickness, ISO 9227 salt spray tests, ISO 6988 ASTM G87 Kesternich sulphur dioxide test);
- Determination of the properties of liquid paints (ISO 2811 viscosity, ISO 3251 percentage non-volatile and ISO 2431 density)
- Paint coating tests (ISO 2808 thickness, ISO 2813 gloss, ISO 7724-1, ISO 7724-1, ISO 7724-1, -2, -3, ISO 11664-4, -6 colour, ISO 2409 ISO 4624 adhesion, ISO 1520 stamping test, ISO 9227 salt spray tests, ISO 3231 ASTM G87 sulphur dioxide Kesternich)
- Charpy impact bending tests (ISO 148-1 ASTM E23, 3 energy levels, at room temperature and low temperature);
- Brinell, Rockwell and Vickers hardness tests (ISO 6506-1 ISO 6507-1 ISO 6508-1, 2 hardness levels)
- Tensile tests (ISO 6892-1 ASTM E8 tensile test on specimens machined at room temperature and ISO 6892-2 high temperature, ISO 6892-1 on flat steel, stainless steel, steel tube, wire rod, ISO 898-1 on screws or bolts ;
- Mechanical tests (ISO 7438 bending test, ISO 7799 rebend/reverse bending test, ISO 8492 tube flattening test, ISO 12106 fatigue test, ISO 12135 ISO 12737 ASTM E399 ASTM E1820 fracture mechanics test);
- Tests on welds (ISO 6520 geometry, ISO 4136 traction)
- Tests on reinforced concrete steels (ISO 15630-1 Tensile test, geometry of cold and hot rolled steels, fatigue test, ISO 15630-2 shear test on welded mesh).
Register to participate to an ILC (interlaboratory comparison)
In addition to its main scope, the CompaLab website offers you share of information concerning rolling marks identifying the origins of concrete reinforcing steels: see List of rolling marks on reinforcing steels
CompaLab organises proficiency tests - inter laboratory comparisons - round robin tests on metals, Photos taken by CompaLab with courtesy of Cerema - Direction territoriale Est - Laboratoire de Nancy